Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Solid Foods

Charlie has started his solid foods journey.  Yesterday was day three of bananas and today was day one of avocados.  He liked bananas and he seems to be okay with avocados.

I was at a play group today talking about his solid foods journey when he started coughing.  His coughing then became choking.  The choking stopped and he stopped making any noise and he turned bright red and his mouth was in an "O" shape.

Oh. My. God.

It was the scariest moment of my life.  All the other moms confirmed that it was a scary moment because they started to freak out too.  I could have fainted but I had to stay alert and figure out how to handle this.

I didn't have time to figure anything out because as quickly as it started it just ended and he went back to playing with his toys.  I could tell I had turned bright red because I felt really hot.  I no longer heard anything anyone else was saying, I couldn't enjoy myself.  I was stuck in my head thinking about what I would have done if he continued to choke.

What the heck happened there?  It had been hours since eating avocados. Was he choking?  Bananas and avocados are the introductory foods, they should be totally safe, right?

I now hate this solid foods introduction.  I'm not ready.  The 'are you breathing' obsession I had when he was a newborn is back except now it's the 'is your throat closing because of an allergic reaction' obsession.

Can I just never introduce solid foods to him and continue to nurse?  Would it be weird if he were an EBF kindergartner?  I'd be really thin so that's a plus.

I love my baby.  Here's some photos of him eating bananas:
 




3 comments:

  1. He holds his own spoon?? He is so advanced!! (Also, EBF?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scariest moment as a Mom EVER. You handled it very well! Good Job Sums!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exclusively breast fed?

    Oh my god, so scary. But even if you stopped feeding him solids there would be something else to scare you to death. It NEVER ends with these babies!

    Glad he's okay!

    ReplyDelete